Villamar is named in honor of Don Eligio Villamar, hero of Churubusco during the North American intervention. Initially it was called Guarachita, which means "guarache, footwear or sandal". HISTORY. In pre-Hispanic times it formed part of the cacicazgo that spread along the banks of Lake Chapala. In 1765 it belonged to the parish of Zahuayo, it was known as San Miguel Guarachita and its vicaría administered more than 1,500 parishioners. It was constituted in Municipality the 10 of December of 1831, with the name of Guarachita. In 1865 Lady Felícitas Del Río Amezcua was born in the Hacienda "La Huarachita" located in Villamar, Michoacán, currently the hull of the Hacienda "La Huarachita" still exists on the Street. Felícitas Del Río S / N.
In 1900 a geological phenomenon of importance was registered, since small volcanoes appeared that threw sulphurous and boiling mud. The population called them "the Negritos" and at the end of the phenomenon the lagoon was full of sulphurous water that subsists to date. In 1935, the name was changed to Villamar, the name it currently has, in honor of Don Eligio Villamar, hero of Churubusco during the North American intervention. Location. It is located northwest of the State, at coordinates 20º01 'north latitude and 102º36' west longitude, at an altitude of 1,540 meters above sea level. It borders to the north with Venustiano Carranza and Pajacuarán, to the east with Chavinda and Tangamandapio, to the south with Tingüindín and Tocumbo, and to the east with Cotija, Jiquilpan and Sahuayo. Its distance to the state capital is 189 km.