Point Fortin, the smallest municipality in Trinidad and Tobago, is located in the southwest of Trinidad Island, about 32 km southwest of San Fernando. After the discovery of oil in the area in 1906, the city became a major center for oil production. The city grew with the oil industry between the 1940s and 1980s, which culminated in its elevation to the status of municipality in 1980. After the end of the oil boom Point Fortin was hit by the economic recession in the 1980s and the closing of its oil refinery. The construction of an Atlantic LNG liquefied natural gas plant has boosted the economy once again. It has an extension of territory that covers an area of 23.88 square kilometers.
In turn, its population is 19,056 people, according to the census figures of the year 2000. The population density, on the other hand, is two thousand and seventy-two inhabitants for each square kilometer of the municipality.