Las Piedras is a municipality in Puerto Rico located near the eastern coast of the island. It limits to the north with Canóvanas and Rio Grande, to the east with Humacao and Naguabo, to the south with Yabucoa and to the west with San Lorenzo and Juncos. Las Piedras is known as "The City of Artisans", was founded in 1801. The name originates from the large boulders that are in the area by a volcanic explosion. The history of Las Piedras dates back to the beginning of the 17th century. In 1797 the neighbors decided to donate 16 cuerdas of land for the foundation of the town. In 1801 the residents obtained authorization to choose the town and then the parish.