Cataño is a municipality located on the north coast of Puerto Rico that borders the Atlantic Ocean and adjacent to the north and east to San Juan. North of Bayamón and Guaynabo. To the east of Toa Baja and west of Guaynabo and is part of the San Juan Metropolitan Area. It was founded in the year 1927 and its surface covers 2 square miles, making it the. Smallest municipality on the island. It began as a neighborhood of the municipality of Bayamón until July 1,1927, when a municipality was constituted under law # 30 approved on April 25 of that year.
The origin of the name comes in honor of a Spanish doctor named Hernando de Cataño who provided medical services in this town in the year 1569, when the Island of Puerto Rico was governed by the Spanish Francisco Bahamonde de Lugo and it was known as the Hato de the palms Cataño is made up of the town of Cataño, the administrative center and main town of the municipality, and the coastal neighborhood of Palmas.