The city of Villagrán, municipal seat, is located at 100°53 'long west of the Greenwich Meridian and at 20°30' north latitude. Its height above sea level is 1,730 meters. To the north, it borders the municipality of Santa Cruz de Juventino Rosas. To the east with the municipality of Celaya, to the south with that of Cortazar and to the west with that of Salamanca. The total area of the municipal territory comprises 125.4 km², equivalent to 0.41% of the total area of the state. There are a total of 120 locations in the municipality. The original seat of the municipality was a community of Otomíes called El Guaje.
Its official foundation was carried out on October 9,1718 by decree of the viceroy Don Baltazar de Zúñiga Sotomayor and Mendoza Duke of Arión with the name of the Purísima Concepción the conqueror of Guaje. Later, on December 15,1910, the licensed Joaquín Obregón González, governor of the State, issued a decree determining that the town of Guaje be elevated to the category of village, with the name of Encarnación Ortiz, belonging to the municipality of Cortazar. By decree issued in 1930, the XXXII State Legislature creates the municipality of Villagrán.