ChatRush

All the chats in San Cristobal De Casas

  1. Free chat in San Cristóbal de las Casas
San Cristobal De Casas

San Cristóbal de Las Casas is a Mexican city, headquarters of the administrative powers of the homonymous municipality in the State of Chiapas. It is the largest urban center in the region of Los Altos de Chiapas and the third most populated in the state, behind Tuxtla Gutiérrez and Tapachula. The population of the city according to the 2010 INEGI census was 185,917 people, this being more than 90% of the total population of the municipality. The city is located in the region of Los Altos de Chiapas and is located at an altitude of more than 2,200 meters above sea level. The temperatures in the region tend to be temperate and have very abundant rains in summer and sporadic in winter.

The mountains surrounding the city are covered with coniferous forests and cloud forests. The city was founded by the Spanish conquistador Diego de Mazariegos and a set of colonists of diverse origins in 1528 with the name of Ciudad Real of the Spaniards, in lands that they obtained after victoriously defeating the Tzotziles. During the Colony, the city was head of the Spanish power in the real intendancy of Chiapas. With a conservative character, San Cristóbal de Las Casas supported the Spanish crown, the Mexican annexation of Chiapas and the conservative regimes during the 19th century, including the Porfiriato. Tension with the liberal groups earned him the status of capital of the State of Chiapas on August 11,1892 in favor of San Marcos Tuxtla.

Currently, it is a cosmopolitan city considered by some as the intercultural capital of Chiapas, as well as being the main tourist destination of the State. In 2003, it was included in the Pueblos Mágicos program by the Ministry of Tourism of Mexico, for its architectural heritage and cultural events. In 2010 and 2011, it was granted by the President of the Republic, the recognition of the "Diversification of the Mexican Tourist Product", with which it was consolidated as "The Most Magical of the Magical Towns of Mexico".