Coffee County is a county in the US state of Georgia. In the 2000 census the county had a population of 37,413 inhabitants. The county seat is Douglas, the county was created on February 9,1854 from portions of the counties of Clinch, Irwin, Telfair and Ware. These lands were originally ceded by the Creek Indians in the Treaty of Fort Jackson and in the Treaty of Creek Agency. The county was named in honor of John E. Coffee, a representative of Georgia.