New Providence or New Providence is the best known island in the Bahamas. It is located between the islands of Eleuthera, to the east, and Andros, to the west, forming part of the Antilles. New Providence became a haven for pirates from 1715 to 1725 who continually attacked the Spanish fleet returning to their country with important shipments of gold and silver. Years later the British government established it as a formal colony and military barracks, choosing as its nerve center the small city of Nassau. In May of 1782 it was taken by a fleet commanded by the Spanish governor Bernardo de Gálvez.